Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore

Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Discovery Bible (New Testament)

I love this Study Bible!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Discovery-Bible-American-Testament/dp/0802441599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383757795&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Discovery+Bible%3A+New+American+Standard+New+Testament+Hardcover

Among other helpful items, the words that are emphasized in the Greek language, are printed in red, so as you read, you get a clearer sense of things.

For example, in Luke 1, when the angel Gabriel came to Zacharias and told him his aged, barren wife was going to have a son - John the Baptist - he replied, "How shall I know this for certain? For I, am an old man..." (Lk1:18)

The words "certain" and "I" are emphasized in the Greek. But look how Gabriel responds in the next verse. He says, "I am Gabriel who stands in the presence of God..." Again the word, "I" is emphasized in the Greek.

Gabriel responded to Zacharias' authoritative "I" response with the same emphasis!
Here are verses 18 and 19 without the emphasis -

"Zacharias said to the angel, 'How will I know this for certain? For I am an old man and my wife is advanced in years.' 19 The angel answered and said to him, 'I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news. 

And now with it -

"Zacharias said to the angel, 'How will I know this for certain? For I am an old man and my wife is advanced in years.' 19 The angel answered and said to him, 'I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news.'" 

I can't prove it, but I picked up a bit of a tone in Zacharias' answer that may very well be described as "patronizing" or "skepticism." And Gabriel's response seems to meet it head on with his own authoritative, "I..."

It's almost like he was saying, "You might be old Zach and know a lot, including that old men with barren wives don't usually have kids. But I know the God to whom you have just offered up the sacrifices on behalf of your people."

 (Zacharias must have forgotten about the founding father of his nation and faith! Someone I think went by the name of Abraham maybe...or something like that.)

In fact, Zacharias, was one of the privileged few who got to occasionally stand there in this Holy of Hollies. And when he did, who shows up? Not just any angel but Gabriel who's been standing in God's immediate, direct, manifest Presence a lot longer than this privileged priest had been in this sacred place.

True messages from God trump any common sense!

1 comment: